• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Lottie an Ultralight Design In Progress.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
The Lottie is an ongoing USA FAR103 Advanced Ultralight design project.

In response to questions that arose from other sources within the HBA community I am skipping over the history and overall design goals for the present and posting current development and design of components that others may find of interest so that we may collaborate on design proposals.

The following is a 1/8 scale planform (or less, depending on mission requirements. Size could easily be doubled to four times the area at 1/16th scale) paper airplane that represents the rear wing aerodynamic surface of a tandem biplane. It is a simplified plan of a (foldable in full scale) delta wing composed of common household products. The plan can be expanded and further developed by other builders to suit their interests. I am available to share my future plans and will provide additional plans if anyone is willing to build additional models or full scale components.

With reference to the attached drawing transfer the right semispan drawing to a standard 8.5 X 11 sheet of writing paper. All dimensions are in inches. Cut and fold as indicated. Additional folds may be added to keep more material towards the swept leading edge (top of the drawing).

Repeat the mirror image for the left semispan or use an inverted symmetrical right wing on the left side.

Combine (household mending tape works well) the right and left wing sections at the centerline. An airtight seal is not necessary.

Add material as necessary for a keel, leading edge and wing spar and to position the CG 3.5 inches or less from the leading edge. Light creases may be added to simulate the radial rib lines and a reflex may be added with a slight bend on a line connecting the keel and wing tip trailing edge.

I used popsicle sticks and soda straws for additional structure. Photos to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpeg
    IMG_3375.jpeg
    5.3 MB
Last edited:
Back