• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Fuel system plumbing, materials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trying to pick all the bits and pieces for the upgraded fuel system on my Parrakeet, and looking at materials...

I replaced all the Aeroquip 303 hoses (which have aluminum ends) with PTFE/stainless braided racing hose (similar to Aeroquip 666 hose, but with steel instead of stainless ends and 1/3 the price) Currently, the fittings are all aluminum AN fittings, but stage two of the project (adding a fuel pump, which is the subject of another thread) requires a bunch of additional fittings (elbows, tees, and adapters), not all of which are available as AN fittings or in aluminum. At least some of the fittings will have to be steel or stainless.

Is there a good reason (other than weight) that aluminum AN fittings are the standard? Some, not all, of the AN part numbers are available in other materials, though they seem to be rare. Of course being experimental I'm not limited to AN or TSO'd parts. And I have seen reccomendations to use steel fittings on the carburetor inlet, for strength. So is there any real reason why I shouldn't use steel racing fittings in my fuel system? I won't be using cheap hardware store brass fittings, but good quality steel or aluminum (where available) fittings from a reputable racing or industrial supplier?

Back