• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Differential Compression Testing ... is 80/80 real?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

I've heard the claim before and currently there is a Tailwind on Barnstormers where the compression test results are claimed to be 80/80 on all cylinders. I'm not the smartest mechanic in the room but with aircooled aircraft engines I'm not really believing this is possible. All cylinders will leak some amount even if it is very small. I can get 78/80 on a few cylinders (I test with the engine cold) but even at that getting 80/80 on all cylinders seems to me to be nearly impossible. Am I wrong here? It wouldn't be the 1st time ...

BTW, that is a very nice Tailwind he has for sale!

Back