• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

What’s your Flight Cycle ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I’m more than a little bit tired of hearing automotive engines can’t handle the duty cycle of an aircraft engine.
Apparently, everybody else out there flies by fire Walling the engine for five minutes, then leaving it at either 75% or 100% for the rest of the flight.

Is there anybody else out there that isn’t flying directly at top speed to a destination four hours away?

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy working on short field proficiency . What are you doing in that? I am using 100% of the engine for a couple of minutes and then a few minutes of 30% and then quite often a couple of minutes of idle.

I’m pulling these numbers out of my posterior, but they seem about right oops I forgot about the 10% duty cycle as I taxi out down to the far end of the strip.

Sometimes I takeoff from an 11,000 foot runway without using full throttle. Other times I enjoy flying slow and quite often kind of low enjoying the scenery.

Do any of the rest of you have any ideas on what actual duty cycles you use and how much?

Back