• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Unique engine design best ever for UL 103

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Perkins

I can think of 5 or 6 other ground shaking UL engine designs over the last 45 years but one stands out and that was the engine designed by Colin Chapman of Lotus for Burt Rutan and Eipper. The Lotus company had orders for 3,500 of the motors when Colin died and the subsequent management decided they did not want to be in the airplane business. They sold the design to a UAV
drone company ahead of its time I think. The truely "unique" part of this design was that they attached the propeller to a beefed up valve camshaft that ran half the speed of the engine. Brilliantly, they saved a lot of weight compared to any engine with a
PSRU unit and how can you make a lot of power for the weight if you do not run the engine at hi revs. Imagine this engine today
with electronic fuel injection, ignition and maybe turbocharger. I keep thinking there is no UL market for engines like this but actually the drone market could be bigger than the UL market ever could be. I dont know where the sweet spot is as far as HP requirements
of drones. I dont know if they ever had a four cylinder prototype but it was supposed to be 50 hp for not much more than 50 pounds. I am not familiar with "backpack" paramotor engines but does 25hp at 33 pounds sound competitive? They expected 500 hour TBO at a high duty cycle. I photographed this engine 25 years ago in a motorcycle museum in Birmingham, Alabama in their LOTUS section. Incidentially, this late stage development engine had a torsional dampner built in to the camshaft direct drive

Attachments

• $ 0001v.jpg
    $ 0001v.jpg
    394.7 KB
  • $ Eipper-Lotus-announce-lg.JPG
    $ Eipper-Lotus-announce-lg.JPG
    100.9 KB
  • $ Lotus Eipper 1983 med1.jpg
    $ Lotus Eipper 1983 med1.jpg
    157 KB
  • $ RUTAN LOTUS06-.jpg
    $ RUTAN LOTUS06-.jpg