• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Seamax wing separation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty sure we'd had a discussion thread on this one when it first happened back in October of 2022, but I couldn't find it. As I recall, I had speculated that the cause related to the odd geometry of the pivots at the ends of the struts.

As it turns out, the actual cause was much more prosaic. Basically, the upper end of the wing strut was anchored with a nut that was loaded in tension with almost the entire lifting load applied to the strut. Which, given prudent use of appropriate hardware, could have worked just fine.

However, the actual hardware was more than a little imprudent. The nut in question was an AN364-524, which is a thin nut intended for use only where the applied loads are primarily in shear. Not only that, but the bolt and nut were subject to rotation, which means that the nylock self-locking feature was the only thing keeping the nut on the bolt. Which, in the end, didn't seem to matter; in the case at hand the repeated application of axial tension simply stripped out the four or so threads in the 5/16" thin nut, releasing the wing from the wing strut attachment. All they found of the nut were its few threads wrapped around the bolt along with some strands of its nylon self-locking ring.

seamax hardware.png
Report: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/106079/pdf

Docket: https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket?ProjectID=106079

Back