• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Pretty Decent Handheld Work Light from Braun/Harbor Freight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpruceForest

I've seen Carlo (fellow Bearhawk Patrol builder) using a cool, handheld articulated light bar-equipped work light for a few months, but did not get a chance to really give that tool a workout until we started welding up the fuselages. Turns out that all-aluminum, rechargeable, handheld, magnetic base, foldable light bar (Item 59536) is seemingly tailor-made for use by aircraft builders and maintainers. Besides a great form factor with the slim, textured body, three intensity settings (500 and 150 lumens for the main light bar; 70 lumens for the tip flashlight), and a strong base rare earth magnet with scratch-prevention coating, the overall tool is extremely rugged (concrete drop tested!!! multiple times!!!) and handy for work in tight spaces like inspection panels.

Best feature? The rechargeable, removable battery, which uses a standard USB-C cable and on-tool connector to charge. Spare batteries with higher capacities (standard battery is 2200 mAh, but capacity up to 9900 mAh) are cheap and readily available... I use the Lithium Ion 18650 form factor batteries in my long gun lights and home security cameras, so have a dozen in chargers at any given time. Swapping a fully charged battery into the light is a 20 second job... unscrew the o-ring-sealed base, replace the battery, screw base back on, and back to work. A set of four higher-quality 5000 mAh batteries with 4x wall charger is about $30 from Amazon, so with the Harbor Freight coupon (see this week's HF sale coupons for $6 off... $23.99 versus $29.99) and Amazon for spare, higher capacity batteries. For about $54 ($24 + $30) I picked up my own light and a set of 6 spare 5000 mAh batteries and charger for Carlo.

Anyway, very good kit and an excellent warranty.

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 9.35.44 AM.png

Light: https://www.harborfreight.com/500-l...dheld-foldable-slim-bar-work-light-59536.html

Batteries: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCW9Q5QQ/

Back