• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Oshkosh 24 and Burt Rutan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyscooter

I remember two things about Oshkosh 1975 as a 12 year old attending with my dad and older brother. First, it was very hot, and second, a strange looking little white airplane with a small decal on it showing a cartoon naked lady sitting backwards on the plane. It was the prototype VariEze making its first appearance at the show. The following year he brought an improved version now equipped with a Continental that was the basis for the plans that he sold. I remember watching some guy with big, bushy sideburns showing people how to hotwire foam cores in the workshop area.

For next 40 years or so it was always fun to see what what came out of Rutan Aircraft Factory or Scaled Composites and then flown to the show. I particularly enjoyed seeing the Voyager fly in 40 years ago this this year, with its wings and canard slowly gyrating, not knowing at the time that it was NOT supposed to be doing that. So when I heard that Burt was coming to Oshkosh this year to do a talk at the Theater in the Woods and also do a series of forums, it was an additional motivator for me to go this year. It was not a disappointment.

His Monday evening theater talk was updated to include a tribute to his late brother. Earlier in the day they had a VariEze, LongEz, Quickie, Defiant, Catbird, and Boomerang all flying in the pattern. You don't get to see that every day! A couple hours later a Starship arrived with Burt on board.

He was quite emotional talking about their relationship and the last time he talked with him before he died. He indicated that he has had some health issues, and can no longer fly airlines. He also mentioned that he was breaking his rule of not showing designs before they have flown, but he was going to show 4 new designs later this week.

I also made it to his Tuesday forum where he discussed his discussed his homebuilt designs, and the issues with some of them. You don't always hear that from a designer! He said that his favorite GA design was the Boomerang, and his favorite overall was SpaceShip One for what it accomplished. He still has a good sense of humor, which was good to see. He mentioned his online autobiography at his website, including that he just uploaded about 2000 pictures.

If you go to Oshkosh long enough, you get used to seeing interesting airplane people at the show over the years; and then they are gone. Paul P, Bob Hoover, Chuck Yeager, Bud Anderson, and other designers and builders. It's part of life but it is still hard to see that. I could be wrong, but it just seemed like that this could be the last time that he planned on making the trip to Oshkosh. I'm glad that he did made the effort to come this year and do the presentations that he did.

Back