• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

"Oryx" motorglider- Stan Hall's Tandem 2 seat VW-powered design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Stan Hall followed his Cherokee homebuilt sailplane design with the "Oryx", a two-place motorglider powered by a VW engine (using a belt-drive PSRU). I hadn't run across this before, and I couldn't find a lot of information on it (dimensions, performance, etc).

Any additional information would be appreciated. IMO it's a good looking plane.

Picture from EAA Sport Aviation, Aug 1973. The accompanying article indicates Stan was investigating the relative merits of direct drive vs. using a PSRU for driving a prop with a 1600cc VW. So, maybe this plane flew on 50-60 HP. I'd guess that wheelcovers were fitted at some point.
1728143272494.png
Photo of N9214N at Rio Vista Airport in Calif, sometime in the 10980s. "Stan Hall: and "Doris Hall" painted on the canopy rail. It's hard to see/tell much about the wing, but the shadow indicates it had a tapered planform and the span was maybe twice the plane's length (?).
From "Flikr" page of Clayton Eddy
1728143750175.jpeg

Last edited:
Back