• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

New Member With an Old Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesRagle

Supporting Member
Hi Guys,

My name is Wes Ragle. This is my first post here so if I mess it up, sorry.

I'm a retired embedded system engineer. The vast majority of my career was spent designing engine monitors, cockpit instrumentation, and ground test equipment for turbine powered aircraft.

Over the years I've built an RV6A, an A model conventional gear Sonex, still working on a BearHawk 4 place, and a Onex. Overall, I've enjoyed the Sonex aircraft the most. They are fun to build, fun to fly, and fun to tweak.

The only issue I have with the Sonex models is the sub-optimal performance of the VW engines. The induction systems are heavily tilted toward form over function. So, wanting an interesting project, and having built enough airplanes, I decided to delve into fuel injection and electronic ignition to see if I could solve the problem.

On and off, for the past three years, I've been working on the design of an ECU designed specifically for VW engines converted for aircraft use. I affectionately refer to the creation as the VeeCU. I hope to be running an engine by winter.

So, I'll be poking around the forum for nuggets and knowledge as I get closer to "live" testing.

As it is:
20240507-122436-1 (1).jpg

As it shall be:

thumbnail.jpg
Thanks,
Wes

Last edited:
Back