• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

KISS Plank Design & Construction Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I am beginning to design a new flying wing plank designed to be a 50/50 blend of a motorglider and soarer. The design goals are as follows

1) Super simple construction
2) Have an empty mass below 70kg
3) Be 3 Axis
4) Be capable of soaring with Hang glider performance
5) Cost below £3500 ($4500)
6) Be safe and easy to fly

Background
I have a degree in engineering and have been working with homebuilts for a few years. I have designed hundreds of concepts and done detail loads,stress & performance reports for about 16 of my designs with each of them in a 'ready to go' state but either money or my imagination keeps me from building these as when nearing the end, I think of better ways of doing things and start a new one.

I have been in touch with both Jim Markse and Mike Whittacker who are both incredibly knowledgeable in very different areas but both applied their knowledge to build some great aircraft.

Concept

I am not looking for performance but an aircraft that is cheap enough to get the cash strapped individual flying in an interesting aircraft that can be built over a winter (for 4 or 5). This is important as if its not built quickly, I will go on to do the next design that will also not get built. The way i envisage it, the pilot will get the aircraft out of the trailer, rig it up and go fly for an hour or two before returning to land - much like any other though by the designs very nature, the type will be easy to man handle around the field, rig, fuel and launch from a very small field.

The aircraft is very much an ultralight and I am aiming to keep the weight to a minimum to keep the stall speed low, this will in turn, make the aircraft capable of taking off/landing in short spaces, have a minimum power requirement and give passive safety (having a bump @30mph is very different to 60mph).

Construction
The design will be to maximise the use of modern CNC services that are available. thin ply. carbon pultrusion, styrofoam and thin wall aluminium tubing will form the bulk of the airframe weight, which, will be kept very low. Where a builder can buy the wood and send the files to a local CNC shop and have the fuselage box assembled with a notch & tab type box, much like the model aircraft I used to design & build which seem very common these days.

Specification
Wingspan = 7m
Wing Area = 11.2m2
Length = 3.2m
MTOW = 150kg
Empty weight = 45kg
Stall = 29 mph
Cruise = 40mph

I plan for this to be a sort of build log. I have spent a considerable amount of time coming up with concepts around the plank type configuration and for the design goals I have in mind, this is what I have arrived at for carrying the primary flight loads. Not dissimilar for the Marske Monarch but with a more 'home builder' friendly type of construction. What was interesting is how quickly you run into the similarity of other designs when pursuing the plank... only so many ways a plank wing can incorporate a pilot!

Anyhow, I aim to update this as progress is made. I wont be releasing any major design data until I have concluded the project but CAD images, construction photos will be uploaded.

Attachments

• Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    55.6 KB
Back