• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

I Gave Up On Flying Because It’s Too….

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
….expensive, selfish, environmentally irresponsible, regulated, boring, (insert excuse of the week here), yet I hang out on an aviation forum anyway.

Why?

There are plenty of creative and positive ideas to grow or sustain our aviation lifestyle, but I’m wondering why some on this forum seem to take great joy in describing their departure from flying and offer “better” alternatives? I’m on plenty of other motorsports forums and can’t recall any of them tolerating overt discord like we do here. If one goes on a classic car forum and starts complaining about the cost of any aspect of the hobby they are promptly laughed off the forum. Car People understand it’s a LUXURY to be the guy that pays $2500 the very last, date correct NOS AC Delco air cleaner element for his 67 Corvette. Yep, it originally cost $3 bucks at the dealer, but this is the part he needs, so it is readily accepted.

What is the motivation of Homebuilt airplane “enthusiasts” to come to this forum and bash the very lifestyle we are embrace and try to grow? If you are out of flying and have found a more fulfilling life collecting stamps, carving soap, kayaking or “whatever”, why are you still here? What is the motivation to offer up your alternative lifestyle? Are you looking for new recruits? How welcome do you think you would be if you went to a wakeboard boat forum and told everyone how dumb it was to spend a half million on a new boat?

Not expecting a ton of responses, but just curious to see if anyone will offer an answer.

Back