• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Grounding plastic fuel cans to truck, trailer hitch, or cargo carrier?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Looking for some input here. My Tri Pacer has the auto fuel STC, and I'm lucky enough to live in a town with two gas stations that sell 87 octane ethanol free mogas. For the past year I've been filling up four 5-gallon (plastic, not metal) fuel cans and hauling the fuel to the airport on a metal cargo carrier that attaches to my trailer hitch.

My question: is there a way to safely ground the tanks to my car's frame, the hitch, or the ground itself, so I don't have to undo the multiple ratchet straps, set the cans on the ground, then reload them after filling and re-strap them down? Just curious if anyone's used grounding straps or any other methods of grounding a can without having to physically set it on the ground. Not a huge deal to keep doing what I'm doing, but it would save me some hassle and 5-10 minutes or so each time I refuel. Thanks.

Back