• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Fundamental Understanding ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

There's a lot of great brain trust on this board so I was hoping we might open a discussion on what many of us see as a lack of basic understanding among pilots & builders when it comes to aviation. On another site there is a thread about "aviation etiquette" and there are many examples of things that pilots do that are incorrect but they are done because folks seems to have lost situational awareness about the basics of being a good pilot.

This is found in aircraft operation & maintanence. In the video below there is a discussion about how, not so many years ago, pilots understood the machines they were flying. They were taught basic stick & rudder skills and how to maintain the aircraft. Now many pilots are spoiled by flying aircraft that allow them to abandon skill and precision in their flying with some having no idea how the aircraft systems work. Many times this lack of knowledge in precision aircraft handling is the cause of take-off & landing accidents or turning an in flight concern into an emergency. Many can cite examples of each.

This video opens the disscussion. I'm certainly not the sharpest knife in he drawer but I have sought to educate myself and learn all I could about my role as a builder and a pilot of my airplane. I generally believe that aircraft builders have quite an advantage in knowing how thier plane was constructed and should have an awareness advantage with regards to fuel, electrical, ignition, instrument systems, etc. But these days when something is needed to be known a U-Toob vid tells us how. The problem with that is many times that info can be wrong or not available when time is of the essence and the pressure is on ...

Back