• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Choosing plans/kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

First post. I’ve been lurking and reading a bit.
I’ve been bitten by the kit plane bug. I’ve decided a 2 place high folding wing bird suits my needs.
ideally I’d like a Highlander, but the family has too much going on to spend that much right now.
I don’t have the skills to weld tube from scratch but I do have the skills and experience to learn aircraft wood construction. I live on Vancouver island and can source good Douglas Fir locally.

So, to my question - which wood construction plans are most common in the 2020s? Most detailed and accurate?
Wood plans and kit knowledge appears to be less consolidated than the tube or sheet metal kits. So many wood kit companies are gone now. Fisher plans are wildly expensive now, especially in Canadian dollars. I like the RagWing Stork and RagABond but how detailed are Roger’s plans for a first time builder?
Are Pietenpol’s the most detailed in terms of support, weight and balance manuals etc?
I’d give priority to the most detailed, accurate and supported with weight and balance manual plans over style and type for my first build. Any info is appreciated.

Jason

Latest posts

Back