• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Bolt clearance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something I haven't seen much discussion of is the proper clearance between a bolt and its hole in aircraft structures. In my day job (designing production machinery) the standard clearance hole is 1/32" (.031) over the nominal bolt size to allow for tolerances and adjustment. But in aircraft the norm seems to be nominal size reamed holes? That can make for an awfully tight fit... in the case of an AN3 bolt the diameter is .186-.189, so a bolt reamed to the nominal 3/16 (.1875) may not accept a bolt on the high side. Of course #10 is really .190 nominal size so that matches all the other AN sizes which are mostly .001-.004 under nominal.

Then once the structure is painted, I presume standard practice is to ream the holes after painting to remove the paint so the bolt fits... leaving no protection on the metal inside the hole?

Back