• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Battery for total loss system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
So as related elsewhere, I'm looking at adding an electric fuel pump to my Parrakeet. With no electrical system, that means a rechargeable battery (12V). The pump draws about 1 amp, so a 5 amp-hour battery would be good for 5 hours, which is twice the capacity of my fuel tank, and the pump should only be required for takeoff and landing.

Looking for battery suggestions. A quick search finds an AGM (lead-acid) battery at 3 lbs, 2.76x3.58,4.21 inches, or a LiFePO4 battery at half the weight and roughly similar dimensions. These are generic scooter or toy batteries, but maybe batteries aimed for specific applications might be a better choice?

When flying cross country I could take along a spare, especially at the lithium battery's weight, or I could even wire in two batteries, switch selectable.

Then there's mission creep... with a battery I could have power for radio or GPS or USB devices, or... but I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize the primary function of powering the fuel pump.

Back