• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Are BRS really a good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I was thinking about this, after some of the recent discussions on getting the extra 24 pounds weight on a part 103 ultralight.

One of the things emphasized during Private Pilot training is to always be aware of your options: "If my engine quit now, where can I land?" Always keep a clear field in site.

This would also apply to Part 103, IMHO. And I see no need to deploy the BRS unless there is a catastrophic failure.

As far as a catastrophic failure is concerned, stay inside the operating limitations of the airframe and there shouldn't be any failures. If there was a catastrophic failure then maybe the plane was poorly designed or poorly flown?

My concern is that some pilots may become complacent, thinking that they can always use the BRS if they get in trouble. But if they are flying properly with a well designed aircraft they should never need it.

Back