• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Aircraft Market / Successful Sales Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I'd like to ask for people's experience with selling flyable aircraft (not projects) over the past year. Not concerned whether it's homebuilt or certified.

I just want to know whether anyone / everyone else is seeing a rather catastrophic reduction in the number of legitimate buyers and the number of actual completed sales of mid-priced flying airplanes over the last year.

As some of you have seen, I happen to have a perfectly flyable, not perfect but well above average, early C-172 for sale. A decent flying 172 should logically be the fastest and easiest type of aircraft to sell in virtually any market. But after 40+ years of owning, buying, and selling dozens of airplanes as a non-professional hobby, I have been absolutely surprised by the exceedingly low number of viable buyers (and a completed sale) on this aircraft, despite it being in the bottom 5% of all 172 asking prices on Barnstormers.

Enquiring minds want to know... is everyone else having the same difficulty selling a mid-range priced ($40-75K) flying airplane these days? I have heard several possible reasons and explanations (election year, skyrocketing grocery prices, price of car gas, mortgage rates, political turmoil, on and on and on).

So if one or more of those reasons is the culprit, everyone else selling a 'garden variety, middle of the road' airplane in this price range should be having the same problem. I'm not talking about bargain basement $1500 projects, Craigslist half complete ultralights, estate sale carcasses, or high dollar stuff that appeals to the more well-heeled folk.

What are the other people selling aircraft in this price range seeing in the market?

Back