• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

SIMONINI ENGINES

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dred

Does anybody know anything about Italian 2-stroke engines Simonini? And especially for its models VICTOR 2 and VICTOR 2 PLUS? In my opinion they are light (52kg) and powerful (100hp).Don't you think they are suitable for Sonerai IILS?

It looks like is premix oil only. That might get old when traveling.

It also might be too light. But hey, there is a guy flying one with a rotax 582. I have not seen or heard from him for a while though.

As my a friend of mine from mississippi says "a dog can whip a skunk, but is it worth it"? ;D

I have a simonini engine installed on my ultralight for a Powered Paraglider application and it is a 26 hp engine. It swings a 48X23 wood prop and is, of course, a two-stroke engine and I mix 4:1 synthitic 2 stroke oil with the gas for this. I have over 240 hours on it and I bought it used with another 200 hours on it. I had the engine rebuilt and its a real powerhouse and has been a VERY reliable engine for me. I will not get rid of this lil thing. It uses a Walbro 32 carb and that has also been worked on by a racing engine tech for go-carts and has increased the volume it puts out and notice a great deal more performance after that mod has been done. Simonini's are known for thier great hp to weight ratios and are very good, reliable engines imo. These engines are made in Italy and there are very limited dealers in the US and very hard to find. Getting parts for this are almost non-existent as nothing is standard to any engine elsewhere in the US and you will have to deal with the manufacturer in Italy for this. This means to order parts, trying to find someone within thier company to speak English, then conversing about what problem you have and the parts you need, then ordering by sending them a certified check as they dont take a normal master-card or Visa. The long distance phone bill will eat you alive and also you wait a good three or more weeks for the parts to get through customs which mine took over 4 weeks. They were very helpful to me in getting a new electric starter for my engine but the overall pain and hassle was too much to do that again. If you can find a dealer for this engine in the US, your in!!! Make sure they can provide basic and even more complex parts before going for it but the Simonini is a very well known engine manufacturer and has very good stats!!!
Engine Maximum power Cruise fuel consumption
Rotax 447 40 hp 2.1 - 2.9 gal/hr
Simonini Mini 2 Plus 25 hp 0.9 - 1.2 gal/hr
Simonini Victor 1 44 hp 1.6 - 2.1 gal/hr
Simonini Victor 1 Plus 48 hp 1.6 - 2.1 gal/hr

Simonini Victor 1 and Victor 1 Plus
TECHNICAL DATA
Displacement, Victor 1 362 cm

Thank you for your reply, Admin!
Thank you for shareing expeirence with me, skyFlyer!
The problem with the distance country wich is Italy to the US is not bothering me, because I live and fly in Bulgaria - closes to Italy, than to US. That is why I am looking for the engine which will be easyly to maintain somewhere in Europe. Nevertheless I bought several times parts for my Rotax 582 from the US, and I was pleasant surprice, that the parts came for less than a week from US to Bulgaria. That is why I think to buy the original engine VW 2180cc for my future Sonerai project. Can you tell me why the Great Plains' engine has less power (70hp) than Aerovee2002 - the same VW 2180cc engine, rated at 80 hp at 3400 rpm, but from "aeroconvercions"?
Thank you for the site, Admin! It is really easy to ask and to find answers and information here!
Best Regards
Konstantin

Back