• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Canopy profile - source thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmleff

There is some good information being posted about canopies and some picts, but they are in a thread that nobody will ever find if they are looking for canopy info. Please post your canopy picts and where/what its is from in this thread.

I have had two canopies due to a malfunction between the headsets. The first is an SII canopy I bought from Sonex. The second is a Bearkut canopy I bought from Todd's canopies.

Attachments

• DSCN1798.jpg
    DSCN1798.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 130
  • SANY0265.jpg
    SANY0265.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
Not sure who made it, but the guy I bought my parts pile from said it was GPASC, bronze smoked. I mounted it backward from the normal position. Turtledeck raised 2" per plans option, vertical tail raised 2-1/2".

Tom

Attachments

• Side view 7-20-10.jpg
    Side view 7-20-10.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 159
index.php

the canopy is from Todds Canopy in Florida. It has really good optics.

Also you can read more about its install and about the skirt construction here http://www.sonerai.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=180&jfile=index.php&topic=1431.0

Take into consideration that for best aerodynamics you want to avoid changes in the height of the canopy as much as possible over the wing. A canopy that changes height rapidly or is very slanted cause interference drag with the wing.

Not sure who, but there were receipts of parts from GPASC for other parts when I purchased the project.

Attachments

• Sonerai taxi 3 004 (Small).jpg
    Sonerai taxi 3 004 (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 115
n3480h said:
Not sure who made it, but the guy I bought my parts pile from said it was GPASC, bronze smoked. I mounted it backward from the normal position. Turtledeck raised 2" per plans option, vertical tail raised 2-1/2".

Tom

Really nice lines, Tom.

There is a post in the classifieds about reversed canopies which raises some questions. Since I have the "backwards" canopy on mine, I will say what I believe to be true about it. I do not see optical distortion because of the lower angle. Just as I see no distortion when looking at an oblique angle through my truck's windshield. I do not believe any canopy provides significant flying lift unless it is configured like a Dyke Delta (which is not really a canopy). I do not believe my airplane will fly noticeably faster or slower because of the reversed canopy configuration. But it does look faster. ;D Plate drag may be less because air will flow more naturally with less resistance over the lower angle, in which case I'm sure I will enjoy the .05mph gain. I did lose 1" of headroom (measured) in the passenger position, which was easily counteracted by building the front seat with a little more angle in the back. I'm 6 foot and 200 pounds and from the passenger seat general visibility is very good - and my feet never touched the firewall.

My IILS is not a racer, never will be. I reversed the canopy for purely aesthetic reasons, not to improve speed or fuel economy. As a builder, I have the option to make my aircraft attractive to me. So far, its coming along nicely to my eyes.

Tom

n3480h said:
;D Plate drag may be less because air will flow more naturally with less resistance over the lower angle, in which case I'm sure I will enjoy the .05mph gain.

Actually it could increased drag, their is more wetted area, more interference drag with the wing, with the lower angle. But it really wont make much of difference, what ever makes you happy.

Talked to Shayne's Dad, yesterday, and his canopy is not a standard Sonerai canopy, but from.another aircraft. He couldn't remember which one, tho. Hoping to go out there tomorrow.

Just received my Harmon Rocket canopy from Todd's Canopies (thanks oahupilot for the idea). Here is a profile pic of it before I start cutting on it. Sorry for the shrink wrap. I want to leave it on until I'm going to work on it. The plexi isn't as thick as it would be on a standard Rocket canopy for 2 reasons. I could save some weight since I don't need the stiffness a 275mph plane does. Second, it should make it easier to work with while attaching to the frame. It is the standard thickness of todd's other canopies.

I also asked Todd to leave the entire bubble intact. Ordinarily about 15 inches is cut off before he ships it. My thought here is to use the extra for a future single place canopy. Total length of the bubble is 95 inches, width 25 inches, and height 18 inches.

Cost: $340 for the canopy (cheaper than standard thickness harmon rocket canopy) $205 for shipping direct to my house in Batavia, IL from Fort Lauderdale. You could save on shipping if you've got a truck and can pick up at the terminal. I drive a mini cooper, so home delivery was easier. ;-)

Delivery driver quote: "What is that? A clear canoe?!?

Attachments

• Canopy.jpg
    Canopy.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 92
dlynd,

Get an oscillating saw to cut the canopy its the best way to go. I have a sonic crafter it cuts very clean thru Plexiglas without the fear of cracks. In order to make holes use tile bits.

I think i've browsed most of the canopy threads.
Including my own. :)

Can anyone report what thickness sheet "most" S2 canopies start as?

There is some discussion on van's re the relative merits of 1/4" (.220", actually) vs 3/16" (.180"-ish)
And the disclaimer that there is "no advantage" to using the thicker because it is "heavier, and bird strikes boil down to sheer dumb luck" or WTTE.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=130229&page=4
The existing cracked, too small canopy on mine appears to have started as a .150" sheet. It does seem too thin.

Any opinions on ideal thickness to start with, before i spend a lot of money experimenting? :)

smt

Not sure but I've been looking for info about this also. It appears if the canopy is free blown there is more of a need to start with a thicker material. For a sonerai that maybe double the desired final thickness. Whereas if it is draped and pulled over a mould it is not thinned as much.
A couple of links with some info.

old article
http://acversailles.free.fr/documen...s/Fabriquer_une_verriere/Blowing_your_own.pdf
I needed google translate for this thread
https://reaa.ru/threads/eschjo-odna-gazaile-2.6874/page-38
Steve

I've seen both of those, but good to be reminded of some points.
Re: the Russian link - a couple weeks ago, wife & i had all the Russian translaters we could bump into in Yerevan.
Need to figure out how to apply google to that one.

Trying to avoid making a plug for now, but that is certainly a viable fall-back position.

smt

Tool with diffuser is for testing process. Net shape before shrinkage 12" x 33"
1/2 width & a little less than 1/2 length of an actual canopy blank.

This is not an exact scale model - it tests several options at once. One end is elliptical, one end circular.
Also aprox $25 per test blank vs $90+. :)

Plywood seems to withstand heat well enough (325 - 350 F).
Unfortunately it turns out to be too porous to hold air. All runs out the perimeter (through the plies) and virtually no pressure develops.
I have an idea using some membrane on a roll here that might be nylon, but have not tested yet for for heat survival. Otherwise it's an order for expensive high temp epoxy. :(

DSC_0759.JPG

smt

Back