• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of home-built aviation.

Why support HomebuiltAirplanes.com?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.
    • Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

What is the "best" auto engine for aircraft use in the 250-350 HP range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLrocket89

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are working on a one-off design similar to this: Bienvenue sur LH Aviation.com

The main difference is that ours is going to be bigger, guessing 200-300 HP, main mission is fast long distance XC. The neat thing about that layout, with the engine in the middle, is that we're not starting from a previous design that's expecting a 300 pound engine or something hanging off the nose...the engine can be whatever it needs to be weight-wise (within reason) as it won't throw off the CG. We're planning on using a belt PSRU or maybe Tracy Crook's PSRU (or Geared Drives if someone picks up that mantle since Bud passed away). Also, because this thing will have a driveshaft, some sort of rubber isolator can be used to help prevent harmonic issues.

Also, because of the desire for high-altitude performance, I'm expecting to turbo-normalize.

So...given all of that, what's the best bet for a reliable, light-weight, well powered engine?

Things I've looked at so far:

Chevy LS2 (Corvette)
Chevy L92 (Escalade engine)
Renesis
20B rotary
Ford Vortec 4600 (inline 6)

My current favorites are the L92 (all aluminum, built like a brick sh!thouse, and a lot of power) and the Ford I6 because I have a soft spot for inline engines.

Because this thing is a one-off design with a lot of flexibility, some other engines that typically aren't considered are options. I'd prefer the engine be available as a crate engine so that we know the entire history of it, but if not at least having parts available so a teardown and replacement of the critical parts is possible.

We're also planning on running a pair of Motec or Megasquirt ECUs, controlling EFI and ignition, so we don't have to worry about bastardizing a distributor and cobbling a carb onto it. We also have access to fabrication skills and equipment, so something like making our own intake runners, exhaust, etc is a possibility.

Basically, you have a blank sheet before you. What do you use for an engine core?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

Back