• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Wankel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMD

There has been a lot of work done on 13b engines for EAB, and I have to admit my only experience with Wankels is having an NSU Spyder and later a 12a powered ice racer I re-engined to 13b. I love the concept, and I think there is enough aftermarket stuff, HP stuff and aviation stuff around to consider this a "mature" technology.

So: given that we have 2 kinds of needs: low altitude, low weight, reasonably high expectation of longevity and mid altitude, turbo probably at a bit higher power all on mogas, and all of the foregoing being essentially constant speed, constant 75% loading - please explain to me why there are not hundreds of peripheral port, aluminum blank side housing, 20b-like (custom e-shaft due to narrower side covers ????) that run between 5k and 6k?

Why am I so bent on 3 throw? Look at the trouble in getting a reduction drive that TVs don't smash to pieces from simple gear backlash. Also moves power easily (or IMHO SHOULD) into the 200HP range to challenge 360s? Normally aspirated should be home ground for 2 stroke exhaust guys to optimize. Modern turbo tech should make a 250HP mid altitude engine possible.

Please forgive my ignorance and satiate my curiosity

Back