• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Sonerai II L larger rudder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Supporting Member
I have read about and seen a video of a larger rudder for the II L and was wondering if anyone had drawings or other information about it. I am preparing to recover the fuselage and it seems like the ideal time to build a new rudder.

I made my vertical fin and rudder bigger while repairing accident damage but the airplane hasn't flown yet. The height increase is seven inches over the standard 2LS tail, based on advice I got from Tim Kline, who was the first to do this as far as I know. I hope to find out this spring whether the taller fin achieves what I wanted.

Ed
2LS

Attachments

• NewTail.png
    NewTail.png
    239 KB · Views: 1
I made my vertical fin and rudder bigger while repairing accident damage but the airplane hasn't flown yet. The height increase is seven inches over the standard 2LS tail, based on advice I got from Tim Kline, who was the first to do this as far as I know. I hope to find out this spring whether the taller fin achieves what I wanted.

Ed
2LS

That looks really cool. Is there any info from Tom about how it flew? The larger rudder I saw was on Matt Mayers(I think that is his name) II L and he just enlarged the rudder and added area to the rudder itself not the Vertical stab.

made my vertical fin and rudder bigger while repairing accident damage but the airplane hasn't flown yet. The height increase is seven inches over the standard

Just to verify based on the drawing (thanks much for that!):
Tim only increases the fixed vertical stab? Not the moving rudder portion?

Thanks!
smt

(Can't see how to edit above?)

or should hinge be understood to continue up through the top extension shown in the line drawing?

Ed
2LS
I did the same on my SII. The result is that when you depress a rudder pedal to the floor, the ball/slip indicator returns to within 5 degrees of centered. Also if you perform 90 degree reversing steep turns, without the larger rudder the aircraft is divergent. With the larger rudder it turns normally. (Divegent means that when you use the rudder to correct for yaw in the turn, the aircraft attempts to tumble. )
Bill

Here are some pics of Matts larger rudder that inspired me to ask these questions-

Attachments

• 7775-7584-1453245457-Bending-and-Welding.jpg
    7775-7584-1453245457-Bending-and-Welding.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 7776-7585-1453245504-IMG-0411.jpg
    7776-7585-1453245504-IMG-0411.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
@Aviacs, the drawing is from MS Paint. Yes, the rudder hinge goes all the way to the top. I don't know whether that's ideal or not. Truth is, I didn't do much research. Except for Tim Kline's testimony it's a leap of faith. We shall see.

Ed

Yaw stability compared with other aircraft by calculating tail volume.

From that reference ....

(1) It is easy to design a tail that is too small. It is difficult to design one that is too large. (2) Big tails are more user friendly than small ones. Hint: Tailheaviness can often be cured simply by the addition of horizontal tail area. Adding it by increasing the tail span is more effective than adding it elsewhere because the tail aspect ratio is then increased, making it more efficient.

For the Vertical Tail Volume Coefficient (VV) the equation looks like this.

VV = SV x LV / SW x b,where SV = vertical tail area, LV = distance from the vertical tail's aerodynamic center to the aircraft c.g., SW = wing area and b = wing span.

Using the plans dimensions:

1674687808031.png

It would be interesting to see what coefficient you calculate for your Sonerai.

Vv = 0.05 for the Sonerai and 0.04 for a C-172 means the Sonerai should be more stable in yaw than the Cessna, right? And yet the opposite was my experience. The Sonerai always fish-tails in bouncy air. Others have said the turtle deck partially blanks out the vertical stabilizer and if that's the case then the formula for Vv doesn't get at the whole picture.

It is difficult to design a tail that's too large is an interesting observation. Look at Van's RVs - their vertical stabilizers are pretty big to my eye. That's what convinced me that I wasn't likely to come to grief doing this.

Good to hear. Sounds like I went higher than necessary with mine.

The fabric work is almost finished, then paint it and put it back together. Looking forward to flying it.

Ed
2LS
Any update on larger rudder design?

Back