• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Removing contact cement from doped fabric?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
What the title says... I removed the elevator gap seals from my Parrakeet today. They were fake leather, aka Naugahyde, installed by a previous owner and glued on with what I assume is some kind of contact cement which has so far resisted my efforts to remove. The naugahyde strips peeled off easily, they were already coming loose, but the remaining adhesive is tenacious. Alcohol and mineral spirits don't touch it, acetone seems to soften it slightly but also takes off the dope.

I will need to repaint that area anyway-- removing the seals exposed silver dope underneath. I don't know whether the owner who installed them removed the color down to silver before attaching the seals of if the color coat peeled off with the seals. I don't plan to reinstalled them... the guy I bought the plane from also owned it before the guy who installed the seals, and says the plane flies better without them. But I want to limit the damage to the existing fabric and paint to minimize the work of refinishing it.

Back