• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Question on Legal Eagle Structure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I'm hoping someone on HBA knows the answer to this, and will provide such answer.

The Back Story:
I own a Legal Eagle, which has supposedly flown. I gave it to an old friend who doesn't have an airplane, but he didn't want to do the handful or minor repairs it needs, so now I'm having another friend bring it back to LA with him on his way home.

This one is likely a little too heavy to meet Part 103, it has a full-case Casler half-VW, a battery, a starter, and instruments.

As for the potential pilot of this Legal Eagle, yours truly may also not meet the FAA guidelines for a pilot. When I look in the mirror, I see a slim, good looking GQ cover model. For some incredulous reason, the rest of the world (and the bathroom scale) sees an overweight lazy troll.

My Legal Eagle is a standard model, not the XL model. So IIRC the gross is listed at 500 pounds, and if the repairs and recover, better wheels and tires, and other extras on this plane might put it at 275-285 instead of 254... with 30 pounds of gasoline, and a granola bar I'm gonna be right at the gross weight or perhaps a smidge high.

So now, the Question: Can anybody tell me what the real-world design G loading is for an original Legal Eagle? I don't care what the brochure says or what Leonard's liability lawyers told him to say. I want to know what the wing was designed to withstand in normal daily usage. I have no intention whatsoever of any harsh maneuvering in this aircraft... but we do have gusts, thermals, and little micro-shears around all the little hills and rocky terrain where I'll be flying.

Back