• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Pros and cons of using 12 volt fuel pump to sump a hard to reach amphibian fuel tank.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been considering what would be the easiest and safest way to sump the fuel tank in my proposed seaplane build. I don't want a port in my hull. I also don't want a syringe type system as the Icon A5 utilizes. Since I will be fabricating a custom tank I am considering adding a dedicated line to the lowest portion of the tank which would run to an additional Facet cube pump. This pump would be plumbed in such a way so as to be easily accessed by a panel, very likely to be in close proximity to the other two pumps in the fuel system. A momentary switch would be mounted nearby and a valve at the discharge end of the line. When the discharge valve is opened and the momentary switch is pressed, fuel from the tank sump will be discharged into a collection bottle for inspection. This system could also be used for emptying the tank. The added weight and expense of such a small pump is negligible, so please, if you would, limit criticism to electrical wiring concerns and anything else I may be overlooking. I've not seen this attempted anywhere else in the literature I have searched thus far.

Last edited:
Back