• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Pros and cons of a "Super Sky Pup"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
skypup_cutaway.gif

We have had many discussions over the years on Steve Wood's Sky Pup ultralight for its unusual wood-fabric-foam-construction and its rudder/elevator two-axis controls. One thing I have often daydreamed about is a Super Sky Pup...not a direct derivative of Wood's design, but a new original design using the same basic design principles (but not construction) to create an affordable, easy to build and easy to fly plane in the U.S. light sport or European microlight category.

Here's what I came up with for a single-seater assuming a 38 hp Polini Thor 303 two stroke with dual ignition and liquid cooling as the base engine. I actually increased the aspect ratio from 7.4 to 8.0 to get nice round numbers for the span and chord.

PRELIMINARY PERFORMANCE ESTIMATE FOR PROPELLER DRIVEN AIRCRAFT
Crew weight200lbs
Fuel + baggage weight100lbs
A/C empty weight360lbs
Total weight660lbs
Stall speed (flaps up) Vs136.01mph
Climb airspeed46.813mph(climb speed = 1.3 x stall speed)
Climb airspeed68.7ft/sec
CLmax1.55(flaps up)
CL at 1.3 Vs0.92(at 1.3 Vs, CL = CLmax x (1/1.3²))
Wing area required128.3ft²(L=1/2 rho V² S CL)
Propeller efficiency at take-off6570%
Propeller efficiency in the climb7075%
Propeller efficiency in the cruise8085%
Cd (profile)0.020.01
Cd (parasite)0.030.015(Speeds between 1.1 Vs and 2.7 Vs)
Aspect ratio8
Induced drag factor K1.2(Cd (induced) = K CL²/π A)
(K = 1.0 elliptical wing, 1.1 moderately tapered, 1.2 rectangular)
Wing span32.0feet
Mean wing chord4.00feet
ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE WITH AN ENGINE OF YOUR PROPOSED RATED POWER
Selected rated shaft power38.0BHP
Effective flat plate area6.69ft²
Take off run400feet
Rate of climb at 1.3 Vs925feet per minute
Max level speed87mph
Cruise speed at 75% power79mph
Flaps up stall speed36.01mph
Glide descent rate at 1.3 Vs405feet per minute

I could see something like this going together as a simple aluminum tube-and-gusset fuselage with plywood seat and firewall with the same lines as the original Sky Pup but tricycle gear with a free-swiveling nosewheel and differential brakes to simplify landing in a crosswind. Wings would be aluminum spars and perhaps Ercoupe-style Warren-truss plywood ribs for torsional stiffness and a single strut each side, all covered in Oratex. Cockpit would keep the Sky Pup lines but optionally enclosed and include a single door for easier access.

Two-axis controls would, of course, remain with the builder's choice of stick and rudder bar/pedals (stick moves fore and aft only for elevator, bar/pedals for rudder) like the Sky Pup or stick only (stick fore and aft for elevator, left and right for rudder) like a Pou-du-Ciel, the latter along with dual hand lever brakes providing a great option for anyone with limited or no use of their legs. For this light a design with generous wing area so it should slow down in a hurry, I think you could get by without any sort of flaps or air brake even without the ability to slip it in, will just take some practice to get the approach right.

A two-seater of about 900-1000 lb gross weight could potentially be an option with a reasonably affordable and reliable current-production two-stroke of 50 hp or so (Hirth, Simonini, or...?) or maybe a minimalist, belt-drive 1.0 liter Suzuki G10 three-cylinder four-stroke conversion. That might require flaps or an air brake for glide slope adjustment.

Thoughts? Pros? Cons? As usual, I've got my fireproof undies on. ;-)

Back