• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Plan B soaring designs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b7gwap

I was drifting one of the facetmobile discussions with my sailplane delusions and decided to continue the dialogue here.

1: Span loading or wingspan length divided by total weight is a good predictor of glide angle.

2: Wing loading or wing projected area divided by total weight is a good predictor of stall speed.

Most competition sailplanes are designed to maximize the first element at perhaps some expense to the second.

But not all. As @Victor Bravo has mentioned, some standouts include Marske’s Monarch, Sandlin’s gliders, and I’d go ahead and include all the successful single surface hang gliders out there like the Wills Wing Falcon series, Moyes Malibu, etc.

Here the idea is to minimize sink rate, and to do this, they sacrifice some of idea 1: above in favor of idea 2: Make a glider with as much area as you can get away with the weight.

I was thinking of ways you could take this idea up even a little more. I think the ultimate example would be a paraglider, whose weight is negligible. That said, my design interest lies with rigid structure and aerodynamic control.

As I’ve been building my Sandlin Goat derivative, my mind has strayed frequently to the idea of a flying plank glider, à la Backstrom, but built like a Sandlin goat. I know a tailless design has performance drawbacks, but maybe for this soaring mission it doesn’t matter as much? The subtraction of the weight of the tail could make for an interesting decrease in wing loading and commensurate sink rate reduction. If you kept the 36 foot span, your span loading could possibly also improve. If you added more chord, you could add a lot of area to further reduce wing loading and make the aircraft less sensitive to CG placement.

Back