• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Paper vs Balsa Wood Materials (RC Airplanes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexdino5

I was just curious about if it would be possible to make a decent sized RC aircraft completely with paper or if balsa is better suited for this. I've made a simple balsa wood airplane with plastic covering a few years back in an highschool speedfest competition. Now that its been a few years later and that I'm in college, I wanted to get into RC Planes and I wanted to build and design them.

I wanted to build a plane with these restrictions I had created:
-No longer than 1 ft
-Powered Flight for 20 minutes
-Electric Motor
-Monoplane
-Slow flying
-Flat Bottomed Airfoil

I have access to 3D CAD systems which I plan to use to design my aircraft design. The main reason for this post is if somebody could point me in direction on where I should start in designing the RC aircraft and if I should stick to Balsa wood designs or paper designs.

This is also my first post so if this is the wrong forum or topic area for this type of question, I apologize.

Back