• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

My Mini-Max Strut Fitting Bolt Access System.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiseacre Dave

I'm almost finished building the first wing for my 1550V V-Max. Some builders have noticed that it's not easy to access the forward strut fitting attach bolt heads. This is somtimes needed because with changing humidity conditions the bolts might become loosened. The only way to get a wrench on the bolt heads is from the wing root with a socket or wrench attached to a long stick---and only if you had built lightening holes in the end rib. The corresponding nuts are accessible via a standard inspection plate built into the fabric on the rear side of the front spar.

I designed and built an access through the leading edge ply to address this problem, and I incorporated it into my recent wing build. The system works very well. It's based on the spec AC 43.13-1B method for repairing damage to plywood by using a "plug patch". I adapted the method to put a cover plate on the access hole.

Attached is the document with photos describing my method and how to build it.

Attachments

• Mini-Max Strut Fitting Access Assembly Rev 1.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back