• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

How Would You ‘Race’ Ultralights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Tim

It seems like in any other thread about racing on this forum someone inevitably says, ‘There should be a Part 103 class of racing.’

Given that a FAA-recognized UL isn’t allowed to do more than 55 knots at wide open throttle and any public event intended to promote aviation is going to have an FAA guy there, how exactly do you race the things? I suppose some dramatic climbing pylon turn to hug the tightest line you can, followed by a dive to the next pylon could be one way to cheat the level flight speed limit but my gut says there would just be piles of wreckage from all the mid-airs near the pylons.

Instead, if you wanted to try and promote UL flying maybe the answer is a modified STOL drag race. Spice it up a bit by having to pass the plane through a gate the width and height of a single car garage door opening then make it flight-ready in a prescribed amount of time before tech inspection then a side-by-side takeoff with another competitor: first in the air wins. After all, a lot of UL questions centre around ‘will it fit in my garage?’ and ‘how small of a flying field can I get away with?’

Back