• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

High Wing - Low Wing Debate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

I'm really torn about this decision. Originally I wanted a high wing because of the great view of the ground. My thinking was that as a ground-pounder I have spent my life looking up, but as an aviator I want to be able to look down. What better way to do that than with a high wing. I began studying all of the Cub variants and began designing a high wing.

Ever conscious of safety, I was reading a book by Pazmany who wrote of the added safety afforded by a low wing, and the added simplicity of controls and reduced weight of the low wing. Then I thought of the fighter-like feel of tandem seat planes like the RV-4 & 8. I’ve been thinking about all the possible quasi-military paint schemes. I was sold on the low wing.

Later I considered the drawbacks of the low wing…the hot green-house canopy, full sun exposure, and of course the sub optimal view of the world below. I also worry about exposure to the sun…catching skin cancer is a big concern for me. An uncle of mine died of skin cancer after years of flying low wings. And, my daughters have expressed a preference for a high wing. Seems they like to look down and don’t want the sun beating on them.

What do I do!!! :depressed

Last edited:
Back