• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Fuel pump for Continental?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Educate me on fuel pumps, please. At this point I'm just want to gather information on my options as I work through fuel flow issues on my Parrakeet, which has a C-85-12.

So: Most airplanes using the small Continentals are high wing, with gravity feed only, no fuel pump. Engine driven fuel pumps are available (but good Lord, the prices!), so presumably some low wing aircraft used them (Ercoupe, Swift??).

Many aircraft with engine driven fuel pumps have an electric boost pump providing redundancy. And some aircraft have just an electric fuel pump (or two?). But this requires an electrical system. But is the case on all the old putt-putts? Do the PMA'd fuel pumps have a reliability level sufficient to be the sole source of fuel pressure?

A small electric pump like the Facet solid state pumps could run on a total loss battery and I know a lot of RVs use them, but do they usually have two pumps for redundancy?

And then regarding the engine driven pumps: They look a lot like an automotive pump, and many aircraft accessories back in the day were the same as the auto parts, just with an expensive sticker. Is this the case here?

Back