• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Drag reduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pictsidhe

I was doing my mindless factory job last night, It leaves about 99% of my brain capacity spare. I was pondering drag reduction and hit upon the idea of hot surfaces to decrease boundary layer density and therefore drag. A breaktime google turned up an interesting paper:

http://www.rollinghillsresearch.com/Aero_Research/Files/AIAA-1999-0134_BLHeat.pdf

While they used electric heating, that is probably of dubious overall benefit. Piston planes do have an abundance of waste heat that can be used. only about 30% of fuel energy spins the prop, the rest is dumped into cooling air and hot exhaust. Considering the above paper, it would seem a good idea to dump said hot air and gas over as much surface as possible. Broad, skinny vents would be preferable to narrow ones by blanketing more surface in warm air. The ultimate would be heating the skin as they did, but that's getting awkward with coolant or exhaust pipes running through the wing skins.
I suspect that at higher Reynolds numbers, a larger proportion of surface needs heating in order to get good drag reductions. Low Re parts are just crying out to be heated, though. The tin can enthusiasts will have a much easier time integrating this idea.

Back