• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Caire Saros ex-military oxygen concentrators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmarepair

Supporting Member
These are popping up on E-Bay at attractive prices. Apparently they were designed for litter patients during transport. I just need one for a single pilot at relatively low altitude, 'cause I'm old and out of shape, and I want to jump the Sierra Nevada to get to points East in my Sonex. I'm wondering if anyone has tried one out?

The SAROS Oxygen System was designed to address the logistical and safety challenges associated with high-pressure oxygen cylinders while providing medical grade oxygen on the battlefield. Its traditional cylindrical shape makes it ideal for placing on the stretcher with the patient, and for storage on existing oxygen storage racks commonly found in emergency transport vehicles. These units are designed to be robust and reliable for operation in extreme temperatures and in the harshest environments.

The SAROS 3000 has 510(k) clearance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Health Canada. It meets Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) guidelines for medical evacuation on Black Hawk helicopters and commercial air flights.
and

• Continuous Flow: 1, 2, 3 LPM • Pulse Flow: 16, 32, 48, 64, 80, 96 ml bolus <...>
• Dimensions: 26.80” (68.1 cm) long x 4.375” (11.1 cm) diameter with battery / 23.25” (59.1 cm) long x 4.375” (11.1 cm) diameter without battery • Weight: 12.25 pounds (5.56 kg) with battery, 10.0 pounds (4.54 kg) without battery <...>
• Operating Voltages: • AC Power Supply • Input Voltage: 100- 240 VAC, 50 – 60 Hz, 115V at 400Hz • Output Voltage: 24 VDC • Output Power: 200 W • 24 VDC Cable • Input Voltage: 20 – 28 VDC; 24VDC (Nominal) • Input Current: 10 A • Battery Life: • 45 minutes at 2LPM Continuous Flow • 1.1 hours at 32ML Pulse Flow
It might work for my use case - enough oxygen to jump from, say, Grass Valley to Fallon, on dedicated battery power alone. I've seen spare batteries on E-Bay as well, although it might be a bit fiddly switching mid-flight. 10 amps at 24 VDC is going to be hard to arrange for my Sonex, but not impossible with a PWM power converter like https://www.amazon.com/DROK-200158-...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER My alternator is only 30 amps though, and I'm alternator dependent with electronic ignition.

Discuss...

Back