• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

aircraft efficiency - pain point or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since I was a kid-size airplane geek, I’ve been interested in figuring out how to make airplanes more efficient - especially when I discovered that GA airplanes really kind of stink in terms of efficiency, generally. A lot of this comes down to how much wing area do you need to satisfy the stall speeds encouraged by the regulations.

Changes are said to be on their way with MOSAIC, and probably later in Part 23, where I could see the wing loading being able to increase while keeping slow stall speeds, and therefore maybe efficiency improvements to what kind of cross country miles per gallon are “normal” in our GA airplanes. An outstanding question for me is “does anyone else care (or notice) that fuel consumption could be lower, and how important is that if so?” So what does everyone think? Is fuel economy something that matters to you? How high do you think it could go if it does?

AeroMonkeyDork

Back