• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe Fisher

1984 Avid flyer

I built this in 1984. It was an Avid Flyer kit. The wings have 2" aluminum tube spars.The ribs are 3/16" ply wood with 1" wide caps. The ribs are attached to the spars with epoxy similar to JB Weld. The strut fittings are steel that raps half way around the tube and held in place with pop rivets and epoxy. The inside of the tubs are reinforced with a 1/4" ply wood web epoxied to the inside of the tube. The Stits glider fabric was glued to the ribs and was finished with Pioly dope.
The engine was a Choina 430 with two calibrators and a 3:1 planetary reduction.The crank shaft had a 1"long by 1.5"D and key way stub shaft that engaged the sun gear. The stub broke off the engine at about three hours of operation.The engine was then replace with a Rotex.
I was 6'2" and 250 lbs and the airplane was to small for me to fit in so I never tried to fly it.
There are no comments to display.

Album information

Album owner
Joe Fisher
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

Joe Fisher