• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Off the shelf DIY dual plug CDI ignition with crank trigger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange4sky

Hi,

I'm building a VW motor and want to install dual plug ignition. It seems like the simplest way is with dual output coils driven by a black box. The question is which black box.

I have a Lightspeed engineering system on my O-540 with magnet crank triggers. You can either have one CDI and a magneto or go dual elecrtronic. For the dual system, it uses two CDI units for redundancy. For redundancy, the LSE system does not fire top and bottom plugs with the same dual coil. It uses wasted spark to allow the use of only three dual output coils per plug bank by firing all top plugs twice, then all bottom plugs on the other set of coils.

I want to use the dual output coils to fire top and bottom plugs together with one CDI unit.

Any suggestions for an off the shelf CDI system and generic crank trigger module? I'd like to avoid the stock distributor but how to trigger the coils and control spark advance with off the shelf units is a question I need answered.

Would it be possible to get an aftermarket programmable unit and just fire the top and bottom plugs off of a set of dual output coils?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back