• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello & Engine Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

oaklandaviator

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and just getting ready to start building a Sonerai II LS. Really getting excited about it. I've got a few questions that are probably pretty rudimentary, but here they are anyway:

Regarding engine options, has anyone put a reduction drive VW on a Sonerai (obviously would require a cowling mod) and if so how's the performance?

Would it be better to stick with a Keep It Simple approach and use a 2180 direct drive? What's a realistic cruise speed & climb rate with this setup? Orrrr, would the 2300 type 1 with aluminum cases do better?

Finally, I like the look of the AeroVee engine also. It comes with a starter, carb, and dual electronic ignition; but I don't know if that design with the starter at the 9 o'clock position (I assume from looking at the pictures) will fit on the Sonerai. And the carb they're advertising almost sounds too good to be true. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Palmer said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and just getting ready to start building a Sonerai II LS. Really getting excited about it. I've got a few questions that are probably pretty rudimentary, but here they are anyway:

Regarding engine options, has anyone put a reduction drive VW on a Sonerai (obviously would require a cowling mod) and if so how's the performance?

Would it be better to stick with a Keep It Simple approach and use a 2180 direct drive? What's a realistic cruise speed & climb rate with this setup? Orrrr, would the 2300 type 1 with aluminum cases do better?

Finally, I like the look of the AeroVee engine also. It comes with a starter, carb, and dual electronic ignition; but I don't know if that design with the starter at the 9 o'clock position (I assume from looking at the pictures) will fit on the Sonerai. And the carb they're advertising almost sounds too good to be true. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance!

The 2 place sonerai tends to get nose heavy, and the aluminum case is 14 pounds more than the mag case. I have not seen anyone with a redrive on a sonerai. I don't really think it would give you much performance. The sonerai is a slick and pretty fast airplane that does not require lots of low speed thrust.

Drew Waterworth (of waiex fame) had a sonerai with an aerovee on it. It worked well and it did require a bit of tubing changes to get the starter to fit. He and I used to fly formation on a weekly basis.

I have had two of their carbs and they work well. They are dirt simple and keep getting better as they tweak them further.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds more and more like a dirt simple 2180 is the best way to go for the II-LS. Does the electric start version from Great Plains with the Diehl accessory case fit without changing the tubes, or is it going to have the same problem as the AeroVee? I like the fact that the AeroVee has dual electronic ignition, but that will require the starter since it doesn't have the impulse coupling of a mag.

Final question (at least for tonight), why do you reckon the AeroVee is listed so much lighter than the Great Plains setup. Great Plains is something like 180 pounds without the starter, carb, or exhaust. The AeroVee was listed as 151 with the starter and carb! Both were 2180 I believe. So many choices...I like it!

Would anyone happen to know what changes need to be made to the Sonerai IILS fuselage to fit the AeroVee 2180 engine?

Thanks in advance.

You may want to contact Drew for the specifics on what it took to mount the AeroVee. I'll PM you with the last email address I have for Drew.

If you have the back issues of Fred Keip's Sonerai Newsletter, check out the Oct-Nov-Dec 2004 issue. It has pictures of Drew's AeroVee Sonerai including 4 pictures of the engine. If you don't have the back issues, I highly recommend that you purchase the CDs.

-Scott

Back