• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Rough field landing gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

I have only seen a few of these articulated type gear on homebuilts, forgive me if this idea is common knowledge.

Suppose you have a Teenie Two or similar and you want more ground clearance and better rough field capability. I worked this out a little, and if for example a maximum rate descent landing were about 3g worth of force on the wheels, the gear in the sketch attached below would need to withstand about 900 lb per side. This would be about 5 in vertical travel and would compress the shock approximately 2 inches which would be 2000 lb at the shock because of the different moment arm. The attachment brackets to the wing would have to be redesigned for a little more strength. But the gear itself is pretty simple with just tubes, pivot points/brackets, etc. This dwg is a facsimile of a Chinese "pit bike" monoshock about 10" center to center and 1000 lb-in spring rate. They cost $55-$60 on ebay more and less. Yes it would be a little more drag and just a little more weight but with a larger slower turning prop and rough field ability more important than top speed it would be worth doing IMO. Any way, I thought it might be interesting to someone:

articulatedgear.jpg

Last edited:
Back