• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Does the airfoil shaped fuselage top of the Dyke Delta add lift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarJar

Hi,
I was playing around with some flying wing/delta designs, and one can't help but take a look at the Dyke Delta, because it has pretty impressive load carrying ability and speed. With newer airfoils and materials, maybe something could be designed that would perform even better and be easier to build.
When I started playing around with this idea, I kept looking at that shape of the top of the fuselage (and windshield) and although it's been claimed that it adds lift, I started to doubt it. 1103_Dyke-7_sm.jpg1103_Dyke-2.jpg

I could see how this might possibly be true on the Wittman Tailwind, because you have a wing that can keep low pressure air from sliding off the top of the fuselage.
But with the Dyke Delta, it seems that there is no way the air will actually follow a straight path over the fuselage, to gain any meaningful lift.
Wouldn't a rounded streamlined canopy (ei. most low wing planes) and rounded top (front/rear view) end up giving you less drag, to make it perform better overall? This is my question.

Back