• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

Coaxial Cable Comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanttaja

Sky Savant
A while ago, when I did new cables for the radio and transponder on my Fly Baby, I used the traditional RG-58U coaxial cable.

Earlier this year, I redid the radio antenna cables. Saw that RG-400 was now the standard, so I bought some.

This weekend I was working on a non-antenna project where I thought some coaxial cable would be an easy way to achieve some shielding. Figured I'd use up some of my old RG-58 instead of my fancy new RG-400.

Stripped the end of the RG-58...and realized the difference. The picture shows the RG-58 with a black outer layer, and the RG-400's copper-colored.

1698007614462.png
These two cables were stripped with the same tool. Note how much braid is on the RG-58 vs. the RG-400.

Probably at the wavelengths associated with aircraft comms the '58 is adequate. But I SURE like the shielding on the RG-400.

Now, this might be a characteristic of the particular vendor that made the RG-58; possibly coax from another site would be better. RG-58 and BNC connectors are used a lot in the computer world.

For my airplane? The -400, thank you....

Ron Wanttaja

Back